Emerald Mango Jewel Smoothie
Maybe you’re just dipping your toe into green smoothies… trying to find painless ways to add some healthy greens into your diet. You’ll hardly know you’re getting a healthy dose of cruciferous kale in this thyroid-nourishing smoothie. (I’ll note benefits below)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen mango
- 1 banana
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple
- 1/4 c fresh orange juice
- 2 Lacinto Kale leaves
- 1 c+ water to your desired consistency
Blend all ingredients together and enjoy on your own or share!
KALE: Besides being anti-inflammatory, kale is a great friend to your thyroid and helps heal connective tissue damage & swollen joints.
MANGOES: Plus mangos can help with sleep issues while supporting your liver, spleen, and thyroid! No rest for the weary!
BANANAS: Along with potassium, calcium, and amino acids, bananas are good brain food. They support your thyroid
PINEAPPLES: Not only are they perfectly compliments for mangoes, they are a good cleanser and detoxifier.
Tropical Green Nectar
When it feels a bit dreary outside and you wish you were in sunny Costa Rica sipping a little taste of the tropics, try this smoothie. It’ll give you a little immune system boost as well! (Just as I snapped this pic, an Anna’s hummingbird friend came in for her own nectar brew.)
1/4 c. fresh orange juice or an orange
1 c. pineapple cubes
1 banana (frozen is fun!)
1-1/2 c coconut water (try Harmless Harvest or Nirvana)
1 c. kale (pack that puppy!)
1/2 c coconut meat (frozen is fine)
1/4 c cilantro (stems and all)
1/2 tsp spirulina
Lentil Sweet Potato Stew with Kale
PREP TIME: 10 mins. COOK TIME: 40 Mins
This is a great Fall & Winter dish! I love how the process of making this yummy stew just flows; by the time it’s made, I’ve already cleaned up the kitchen. Easy!
Many thanks to my friend Scott Anderson for sharing it!
1 med. yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled & minced
2 tbl. curry powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbl tomato paste
3/4 c green lentils, uncooked
3 c. vegetable broth
3 carrots, peeled & chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled & cubed (approx 3-4 c chopped)
6 c lightly packed kale, de-stemmed and chopped (Lacinto is good!)
- Cook the onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of water or broth for 5 mins in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- While that’s cooking, combine the curry powder, salt, ginger & tomato paste. Add to onions when they’re cooked. Cook a few more minutes, stirring.
- Add the lentils and broth, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep the carrots and sweet potato. Add to the soup and simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes or until the carrots and sweet potato are easily pierced with a fork.
- While that’s cooking, prep the kale. Finish cleaning up what little is left to do. Then add the kale when the carrots & sweet potato are cooked. Turn off the heat and let sit for a few minutes. If the lentils are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed, it’s ready! This is a stew; if you like it more soupy, add more broth. I like to garnish with a sprig of cilantro.
Created by Deryn Macey She has an amazing array of resources about WFPB available on her website. Definitely worth checking out!